Jan. 14, 2013: GI Bill education transfer incurs 4 years for all Airmen

By Newsroom America Feeds at 14 Jan 2013

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/USDODAF-66d17a.


*Release No: 006 Jan. 14, 2013 * *GI Bill education transfer incurs 4 years for all Airmen*

* *by Debbie Gildea

Air Force Personnel Center Public Affairs*

"JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas"* – When initially implemented, the Post-9/11 GI Bill education transfer program was phased in to enable Airmen nearing retirement to accept a 1-, 2-, or 3-year active duty service commitment.

That phase-in period expired July 31, 2012 and all active duty Airmen now incur a 4-year ADSC, said Bruce Houseman, Air Force Personnel Center education services and benefits chief.

“Because the program was new, many otherwise eligible members would have been unable to take advantage of it without the phased-in service commitments,” said Houseman. “However, those exceptions are no longer offered, so members who wait until they are close to retirement to transfer benefits may not be able to do so.”

High year of tenure, for one, may affect a member’s ability to transfer benefits.

“If you have 20 years of active federal service, but still have four years before your HYT, you may still be able to apply to transfer benefits, but you will definitely incur a 4-year commitment, so it’s best to act quickly,” said Houseman.

Airmen interested in transferring a portion or all of their GI Bill education benefits to family members can contact the education services team at afpc.dpsitedu@us.af.mil. Eligible Airmen can apply to transfer benefits through the MilConnect website at www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect, or through the virtual MPF self service actions section, accessible via the myPers website or the Air Force Portal.

"If you think you might be interested, we want to help you with the process. Don’t wait until it’s too late,” said Houseman.

For more information about the Post 9/11 GI Bill and transferring education benefits, go to myPers at https://mypers.af.mil https://mypers.af.mil/, and enter "Post 9/11 GI Bill" or "9083" in the search window.

* *

*- 30 -*

Follow us on Facebook at US Air Force Life and Career http://www.facebook.com/pages/US-Air-Force-Life-and-Career/285437941864 or on Twitter at AFCareers http://www.twitter.com/AFCareers and USAF_Services http://www.twitter.com/USAF_Services. For more news and information, visit: Air Force Manpower Agency http://www.afma.af.mil, Air Force Personnel Center http://www.afpc.af.mil, and Air Force Services Agency http://www.afsv.af.mil.


[D] [Digg] [FB] [R] [SU] [Tweet] [G]